Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Injury Forces Joyce Cooling To Cancel Cruise

Back problems have forced smooth jazz guitarist Joyce Cooling to cancel her appearance on this month’s first-ever All Star Smooth Jazz Cruise hosted by trumpeter Rick Braun.

Although Cooling recently strained her back while hauling musical equipment, she had hoped to still be able to set sail when the cruise departs on Nov. 13. But Cooling's manager says that she’s decided that it would be better for her to remain in her Bay Area home to recuperate while canceling all appearances for the rest of the year. Her first appearance in 2006 is scheduled for Jan. 14 in
Cerritos, Calif.

Cooling is now focused on her rebabilitation and is working with musical partner Jay Wagner on a new album to follow-up her March 2004 release called
This Girl’s Got to Play.

"We’ve written a bunch of songs for it," Cooling says. "And, as always but even more now than ever – and I think I say this every CD – I’m ready for a change. I need to stretch in a different way. I need to do some different things. I’ve been fooling around with a balalaika, and it’s given me some different chords and just opened up my head a little bit. I’ve been playing a little bit of keyboards, working on some vocals and just stretching out."

No comments: